Friday, July 17, 2009

HONDURAS BOUND!

We're finally officially headed to Honduras next week. We got word today that we had gotten the State Department's approval, so we're good to go! I'll let you know when I get there safely.

It's hot. So very hot. I cannot wait to be in Honduras.

There are lots of problems with infrastructure here. The main problem that I have been most in contact with is the lack of energy. Yesterday there wasn't any power for 12 straight hours. Please imagine this in 95 degree weather and 80% humidity. It's rough. Basically what is happening is that the government here doesn't pay very much for their electricity. All government buildings basically get away with paying pennies for all the energy they use. There are also lots of problems with people just running electricity lines to their houses and also not all the houses have meters. In turn, the cost of electricity for the normal person is extremely high. The people of the DR consume much more energy than they pay for and in order to make up for that deficit, they just turn off the power for hours at a time. So that, even the people who religiously pay their bills are without power because the society as a whole cannot resolve this problem (which seems to be such a simple solution). Businesses cannot operate because they either have to run on expensive batteries or just suffer the losses. It's terrible, and is a huge cause for the lack of development here.

The internet cafe I am in right now is running off of battery power, and fortunately there's a fan on here, so it's bearable.

Training is getting boring and it's tough because we cannot really proceed any further without actually being in country. Our trainers are doing the best they can, but it's been a boring week. We did however get to go on a trip with Spanish class to visit a Botanical Garden, and then yesterday we went out to the campo (rural part of town) to visit a PCV there and see her projects. It was a much needed change from the mundane.

This is our last weekend here and I think we may try to go to the beach again. We'll see.

Take a look at my facebook pictures if you like. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment