Wednesday, August 5, 2009

efe be te

I love Honduras already. Things are going really well here and I am so spoiled. It really is almost pathetic as to how spoiled I am. This cannot really be my reality in Honduras. I am staying with a family that has quite a large house. They do have to have a large house though, because there are 11 people in the house right now counting myself. 3 guys and 8 girls. It's so much fun! The food here is incredible and I feel like I'm already gaining weight. Haha. I'm sure that I will loose it the second I am by myself in my site without someone serving me every meal, and considering the budget I will be living on as well... I also have hot water here. For the first time in over a month, I took a hot enough shower to fog up the mirror. I can't tell you how exciting this is after taking showers that literally take your breath away because they are so cold for nearly a month.

Right now I am in a process of training called FBT (Field Base Training). During this time we have Spanish classes in the morning (7:30-11:30) and then we go home for lunch. In the afternoons, we have more training, but finally we are learning about the jobs/projects we will actually be doing during our service. I am mainly going to be doing a project called TEAM (Teaching English and Methologies). This is a project set up to teach English to teachers. The Honduran government has recently added English in grades 4-6 and most of the teachers don't speak English, much less how to teach it. That's where we come in. We provide a 6 month session of classes to teachers 2 hours a week where we teach them English and give them ideas to use in their own classroom. I'm getting pretty excited about it.

There are also lots of other projects that we will get involved in as well: coaching girls basketball (yay!), girls soccer, and starting baseball programs (not yay. damn emperialism.). I can also work with midwives and young pregnant women in the community. During FBT, my Spanish class is not actually going to have class every day. Instead, four days a week myself and two others are going to work with an orphange here to paint murals in the community. We're starting on this on Friday.

I'm forming good relationships here. It's really amazing how we become to depend on each other is this new world of ours. Culture shock still hasn't hit me and I'm wondering how or if it will hit me this time. There are days of frustration, but Honduras is still new a week in and I am so excited about life here for the next few years.

I hope to post more pictures soon, but I'm too scared to bring my laptop to the internet place. I've taken lots.

Good luck to my students starting 8th grade! And also to all the teachers! Woop woop. Tomorrow I have my own school adventure in a 2nd grade Honduran classroom.

I miss you all.

1 comment:

  1. Teaching english to teachers is probably great for you!!! Since you have taught a year, I'm sure you can give lots of great advice! :) I don't know if you've seen, but I commented on your facebook to tell you that I have several of your students, and I've been testing their spanish! (at least the small bit that I know ;) Hope to see pics soon!

    ReplyDelete