My site:
-1700 meters (5,600 ft), so MOUNTAINS!!
-Lenca (indigenous group of people)
-cold weather
-pine trees
-coffee area
-can grow lettuce!! and there are lots of tomatoes
-have electricity
-INTERNET
-walk a lot, which maybe I can get a horse
-small town
-one restaurant
-2 hours away from the closest city
-about 45 minutes away from the closest volunteer
Host fam:
-mom
-2 brothers (one is a teacher, other is in high school)
-pretty nice house b/c 2 other kids live in US and send money
Work:
-Reiken Library (youth groups, mobile library, community activities)
-Kindergarten (teaching dental hygiene)
-Primary school (1-6 grades; start a basketball team, dental hygiene, Spanish, Math)
-High School (HIV/AIDS education and more)
-Superintendent figure (Teaching English to teachers TEAM, teaching Math and Spanish methodologies, HIV/AIDS, Sex Education training)
-Youth Group from the Catholic Church (activities, soccer team)
-Women's Cooperative (they bake bread and sell it, but want to learn to cook other things and business skills)
It's kinda ridiculous how many counterparts that I have (those I listed are considered my counterparts). Normally, we have 2-4. I have 7. At least I won't be bored. I will have work for days, but I am excited. I am excited about being in a cold site too. Cold is relative here, but without a heater, I'm sure the nights will be chilly. Good thing I ended up getting that 30 degree sleeping bag. Mom also sent me a package with another coat and a sweatshirt.
Training is finally coming to a close, and I am very excited to be finished, but I am going to miss my family here terribly. I have really gotten extremely close to them and they have spoiled me lots. I am also sad to be leaving the kids at the orphanage. I'm sure that I will come back to visit quite a bit here. I am thinking about spending Christmas here with this family. My site is about 6-7 hours away from here by bus, which is rough. I am also not allowed to leave my site until late December. Ouch. These first few months of service are going to be crazy.
Today was Children's Day here in Honduras, so we had lots of celebrations. Next week is Independence Day (Sept 15), and so the bands are practicing constantly, and there are lots of excuses for parties. The drumming is becoming ridiculous. I think that my next door neighbor is a drummer or something, because it's like the drums are always beating.
Also, in case you didn't know, fútbol is king here, and I am not talking about the American kind. Honduras is actually really good too. Right now is the selection process for the World Cup if you live in a hole. The U.S. is in 1st place, closely followed by México (grrr), then Honduras! Honduras sadly lost to México last night and it was tough. The U.S. and Honduras play on October 12, which will determine who will go to South Africa for the World Cup next year.
Just some random thoughts I've had over the past few days:
Blessings. To be blessed or to bless others?
For the first time in my life, I don't like dogs, but only because the ones here never cease the barking and are never trained.
This little man has been hoeing that grass all day. Literally all day.
I'm tired of dust.
It's a very, very small world.
How do those lichens survive on the power lines?
I'm officially a Honduras resident and it says so in my passport!
Pigs are weird.
No comments:
Post a Comment